Sunday, February 12, 2012

Lesser Known Black History: York of the Lewis and Clark Expedition!



Happy Black History Month! This year we have decided to try and focus on lesser known African American contribute rs to the American Story. Well one my relatives sent me an email last month of a video clip with Bill Cosby from a long, long time ago. lol! Well here is the clip:



In this clip one person in particular caught my ear. That person was York from the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Growing up in public school I was never taught much about the significance of the Lewis and Clark Expedition to begin with let alone that William Clark brought along a man servant/slave named York who was instrumental in helping build relationships with the Native tribes as well as being a Master hunter and list of other things. You can find out more about York Here.


If you look at this famous photo here you will notice how he has been there the whole time hiding in the shadows of history. Wow! This is why I love homeschooling. You never stop learning. I love it when my children and I can discover new things together as a family. Its wonderful.


This statue of York's likeness was is erected in Louisville, Kentucky at the Belvedere Plaza overlooking the Ohio River. I find the placement of this statue very significant in the fact that is lies on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River which was the side where there was slavery. He is looking over to freedom on the other side of the River.



I was able to find a few book titles at my Public library on York:

I Am Sacajawea, I Am York: Our Journey West with Lewis and Clark by Claire Rudolf Murphy
In Search of York: The Slave Who Went to the Pacific With Lewis and Clark by Robert Betts
American Slave, American Hero: York of the Lewis And Clark Expedition by Laurence Pringle
York's Adventures with Lewis and Clark: An African-American's Part in the Great Expedition by Rhoda Blumberg

1 comment:

  1. I find the placement of this statue very significant in the fact that is lies on the Kentucky side of the Ohio River which was the side where there was slavery. He is looking over to freedom on the other side of the River. This is really a nice post Coloring Pages

    ReplyDelete

Free homeschool teaching resources
Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page
Mama to 3
Tot School