So this week we have been participating in screen week with our local homeschool support group. It basically having your children not watch TV for a week. Now we didn't watch much TV anyway but its been a good experience so far turning off the tube.
During an average week my children would get an hour of TV during the weekdays and on the weekend they could get up to 2hrs on Saturday and Sunday. So compared to our nations average of children watching 4+ hours a day I say we were doing pretty darn good. But you know just 4 days into our screen free week I can see we could have been doing better. In that hour I was letting my children have it was usually while I was trying to fix dinner. So now instead this week the children and I have been more creative with that time. I have invited my kids into the kitchen more and they have come up with some things to do themselves.
If you decided to go Screen Free for a week here is a list of ideas to keep your family entertained:
- Go for afternoon walk around the neighborhood or local park
- Start and garden
- Listen to Audio books of the Classics
- Do an arts and craft project
- Start silent reading hour
- Create a production of your children's favorite story
- Draw while listening to Classical music
- Play in the yard
- Pull out the board games
- Train children in doing a new chore
Here are some pics I took of this weeks Screen Free Week.